Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Ledger lines in music

I have never taught ledger lines in music.  I just let them be a natural progression when students need to use the notes from above the staff or below the staff or in between the treble and the bass staff.  I realized this fall, after over 25 years of teaching music and a lifetime of using ledger lines, that it would be smart to teach students what ledger lines really are.

  I am now, intentionally teaching them to sixth graders, when I should have taught it to them last year.  When I get fifth graders this winter, I will teach them more specifically what ledger lines are so they understand, for example, why middle C has a line through it!  It makes sense to teach it intentionally because, after all, the first note I teach is middle C, since I am teaching treble and bass clef every day, along with rhythms and dynamics. 

Why did I not do it all these years?  That is the thousand dollar question.  Was it just one more thing that I didn't want to push?  One more thing that was too technical and not about the "love" of music?  But if I just told them why C has a line through it, maybe the rest of it would be easier to understand. The students seem to be taking to it, and seem to understand it immediately when explained to them.

 Well, better late than never, is what I always say!!



No comments:

Post a Comment