Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Enrichment activity - Where do you Stand?

I don't know if I have talked about this activity on this blog before.  I have a class that is a creative drama class, and it has from 20 to 25 students in it per quarter, some come two days a week, some come three days a week, and some only come one day a week.  I am always finding new ideas and creative activities to share with them for class.  Where do you stand? is a way to figure out how people think about different statements, and I am always happy to play this game.  You have two rows of chairs.  You say the statement, "I prefer cats to dogs" for example, or "If you find money on the street you should be able to keep it" or "You can't change your personality" or "Precious jewels are more valuable than trees", just to name a few.  If you agree with the statement you sit in the front row, if you disagree with the statement, you sit in the back row.  Then, you discuss it with the group.

We have had some amazing conversations about these statements, and I have gotten to know my students better with this.  At this point, I am giving them the statements, and they are now writing speeches about the statements, that they will share with the class. I look forward to hearing what they say about these different statements, and about what they believe.  They definitely are opinionated, and this gives them a chance to write about something that they truly believe in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment