Saturday, April 4, 2020

You Two, Incorrigible

You Two, Incorrigible

 April 14, 2015 

It’s us against them 
nowadays
It never used to be
that way
It was just 
us.
Snowglobe us.
Peeps, animal crackers, lunch, laughter
us.
Children’s problems
Family issues
us.
But we had it all-under control
just us.

Now,
We don’t know how 
to think about anything.
If we spent the amount 
of time
it would take 
to process everything
We would be more processed
Than all the Cheezits 
in a supersize box.

She came to me 
in my dream,
you know.
She was youthful
Beautiful
Her voice,
as we remember it,
Sassy, tough,
Full of conviction
Strength of thousands,
Strength for all of us.
just us.
Us.
She told me 
Not to tell you
I am sure she knew
that I would
After all,
it was never me, 
then  you,
then her,
It was always,
Us.
When I did tell you anyway
I am sure she knew 
I would;
When I did anyway
We laughed,
We ached,
But we laughed anyway.
The two of us
We laughed
imagining
She would be shaking her head in heaven.
She’d say,
You two,
Incorrigible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment