Wednesday, May 30, 2018

What I notice in working on these Rondo Raps...

Here is a short update on the Rondo Rap project.  I am noticing a few interesting things about students and their understanding and knowledge of all important elements of such a project.  They believe that, for example, a dotted half note gets three syllables.  That can't be true.  You hold a dotted half note for three beats, and they aren't separate beats, they are held beats.  That is the first thing I notice about students and writing raps. 

The second thing I notice, and this disturbs me, is the fact that they all don't know what a syllable is.  Factory has three syllables.  Fact, on the other hand, has one syllable.  Every syllable receives some kind of beat, so you can put three quarter note beats on factory, you can put a dotted half note on the word Fact, you cannot do anything like this the other way around.  I am fascinated by their inability to understand that or to create something that can work.  They don't want it to be that hard for them, which I understand, but I am giving them very clear parameters, and it frustrates them.  They will learn, the hard way.

Deep down, that is what is going on.  No parameters, especially at this time of year.  Hey, I gave you three sections, I gave you a bunch of words, YOU make it work for you!!  That is not enough, my expectations are really high, and I literally have one more good week to get out of them, and then I am out of luck..you tell me what I have to do and how I need to make it interesting and/or worthwhile for them, and a learning experience, and something they are willing to do three weeks before school ends.

 I will just keep at it!! I will keep you posted as well.  I am hoping to put some of those raps on this blog when they are done, I will let you know. Have a great week, everyone, and keep it real.

No comments:

Post a Comment