Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Testing week

Stressful, apples, chewy granola bars, cheezits, and fewer glitches than usual.  I am proctoring a small group of students this year for the MEA testing, and they are students who are allowed extra time for their tests.  I was really fortunate to get these students, because they are quiet, well-behaved, take the test seriously, and use their time wisely.  One little girl sometimes, in class, blurts things out without raising her hand, but in this particular situation, she had several packs of gum, and she was quiet and discreet about everything the whole time.  I was proud of her, and proud of the whole group.  I don't know how they did on these tests, but if they didn't do well, it isn't because I didn't administer the tests correctly.  I am becoming a pro at this stuff, I never was given a group to test until the last few years, and now I am getting pretty good at it.

 I was stressed yesterday because first they put some other proctor and a different small group into my classroom when I was supposed to be teaching a class..but they fixed that.  Then, the classroom I was supposed to test in had classes in it, so they had to move me, but they fixed that too.  Finally, two of the kids didn't log in correctly, so I had to find an administrator to help me with THAT, but they fixed that too, and the rest of the day went smoothly. 

Testing seems to stress everyone out, more so the teachers than the students, because they are HIGH STAKES!! Why?  I still think there are better ways..but no one ever listens to moi, and then too many kids are labeled because of some way they performed on a state test..haven't we learned from all these years of studying this stuff?  Sadly, no..high stakes, expensive, stressful, anxiety-producing ridiculousness..who is in charge here?  Sadly, not me..but I will still do my best to make it as positive a week as possible.  Rock it, kids, and your teachers will love you forever, (and will keep teaching because you did well on a state test!!) Yikes!! 11 problems of high stakes testing obsession

No comments:

Post a Comment