Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Greensleeves

Happy New Year!!  I hope you all had wonderful holidays!  Mine were fantastic, and I enjoyed my time off from teaching very much.  I am also very happy to be back in my classroom and doing some fantastic projects with the kids this week.  I introduced the song "Greensleeves" to them this week.  I used to sing this song with the kids several years ago when the sixth grade did a big Shakespeare festival, because it was written in the Shakespearean time.  However, I let it go for a while because we no longer do the Shakespeare festival.  I am so happy that I brought it back.  I shared the song with them, and asked them what they thought the song was about.  They got it right away.  It is about a man whose girlfriend has broken up with him.  What does "cast me off discourteously" mean in today's terms?  "Text Dumping" they all told me!  Wow, and I thought a writing a Dear John letter was hard!  That is definitely the meanest way to break up with someone.  "Delighting in your company" might mean what in today's society?  "It would mean playing video games, or going skating, or chilling, or hanging out" they all said.  It was a great discussion, with many fun exchanges, and rapid fire dialogue.

Greensleeves on youtube

The next step was for them to re-write the lyrics to "Greensleeves" and make it a modern version of the song.  Here are some of the results from this assignment.  Some of them made me laugh out loud!! (LOL!!)

  1. Come on, girlfriend, why did you leave, you ripped my heart cruelly. It was completely out of the blue, but you tried to hurt me.


Chorus: My Betsy left me and she was all I needed. She left me for a handsome man, more than I would ever be.
  1. My life was perfect until you broke my heart forever. When you were with
me I felt whole then you broke me meanly.
Chorus: My Betsy left me and she was all I needed. She left me for a handsome man, more than I would ever be.
  1. We went to Yong’s, a chinese shop and got a knickknack or two, and we had so much fun, but you went and ruined it.
Chorus: My Betsy left me and she was all I needed. She left me for a handsome man, more than I would ever be.





One day you sent me a snapchat saying its over with a picture,

I miss you so much I bought myself some kitties to replace you.
I remember when we went to Starbucks Coffee and you paid,
Now I know why you left me for that jerk Gronkowski
I remember when we went to Dunkin Donuts and dunked them in coffee,
Now to cheer me up I eat donuts and watch George Clooney movies,
I remember when we went to Starbucks coffee, and you paid,
Now I know why you left me for that jerk Gronkowski.

You broke my heart the day you changed your status to single,
we used to have so much fun hanging out at starbucks and the movies
You were all the fun in my life, the wifi to my phone,
You were the one who made me smile even when other laughed.
I've left you a hundred texts but you still haven't replied,
I've left one thousand voice mails but you still haven't called me back
You were all the fun in my life, the wifi to my phone,
You were the one who made me smile even when others laughed.

The day you left me at that Starbucks you broke me
and you unfriended me on Facebook and you also left a mean comment on my page.
Amanda you broke my heart why would you leave me,
Amanda you were always there for me Come back I still love you!
I have instagram so do you but you left e on that too,
I'm the bird that tweets for you and now your status is single.
(refrain)

she dumped me on my birthday, I looked at her snapchat status and it was single,
I was very angry I got so mad I went to her house and wrecked her garage door.
Why did you dump me? We watched the Martians so many times
We watched it in the regal fancy recliners chairs and to think your name is J. Lo.
We had so much in common how could you dump me on my birthday
We went for coffee every day you like espresso now I will never drink coffee again.
(refrain)

More to come next week on this subject as well! Have a great week!






No comments:

Post a Comment