Thursday, December 13, 2018

Poem about the most impactful day of my life

Yes
It is true
How do you choose
One day
That has impacted you
More than any other
Especially
At my age
Yes
I am old
Relationships
So many
Weddings
Children born
Grandchildren
Graduations
Illness
Loss
Betrayal
All full of impact
Yes
But to choose one
I can say
It may always be
The day we brought
A Christmas tree
To our friend
With all the singing children
From her classes
Yes
We stood around the tree
Outside her home
Snow falling
Or that is how I remember it
We  sang carols
We decorated the tree
My tears turned to ice
I looked at our mutual friend
It was all we could do
To keep on singing
And not fall apart
Yes
It has been eleven christmases
Since we have lost her
But the day remains
Etched in memory
In all we might do
To keep her close
To keep her with us
To never let her go
She is with us forever
Because of that day
Because of that memory
Because of that love

No comments:

Post a Comment