Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Boston Museum of Science Trip

Last Thursday our entire sixth grade class took the train down to Boston on the Downeaster (Link to the Downeaster)  and had an incredible experience at the Museum of Science!
 Museum of Science website




Last year it was a glimmer in the eye of the science teacher at York Middle School, and soon after that the team that he was working with organized a trip for an overnight there.  I was fortunate enough to be part of that team so I was invited to go on this trip.  The music teacher on a field trip to the science museum? You might ask?  May I just be the one of the many people to say that there are a lot of connections between science and music, just to begin with the physics of sound!  How about the behavioral transformational effects that music has on all of us?  How about how we make instruments and figure out pitch with strings or glasses of water, for example?  Just for starters!  In any case, I also work with a sixth grade advisory, so I was also invited because of the team-building aspect of the trip.  It was such a positive experience last year, that this year the entire sixth grade decided to go.

There was a great deal of preparation and planning that went into the trip, and I would like to publicly thank all the 6th grade teachers for all the work they did to make the trip go smoothly.  I think the students were very excited about spending the night under the dinosaurs, or in the hall of human life, and this was a great experience.  Yes, the floor is hard, and yes, you stay up past your bedtime, (activities go until midnight!!) but this is a trip that no one will ever forget!!  It is great to have the run of the museum in the evening, with hardly anyone else there.  It is fabulous to be able to see the newest IMAX presentation, "The South Pacific" was full of beautiful panoramic views of coral reefs, animals, fish, the wonderful people who live there.   There was a fascinating story of one boy and his experience on a boat studying the turtles and the coral reefs and how to take care of them and save them.  The Planetarium show was very entertaining, and the lightning show is always extremely exciting!  The presenters really know children and know how to keep them engaged, watching,  asking and answering questions.  I especially enjoyed the presentation on the oversized Newton's Cradle, because growing up I had one of those at my desk in my room, and I never knew what it was called, nor had I ever learned why it works the way it does!

The best part for me is seeing the faces of the children as they experience the museum in this unique way.  Their expectant faces on the way into all the exhibits, their curious expressions as they begin to try new things, and learn new ideas, and their exhaustion and giddiness as they finally settle down at the end of the night in their sleeping bags together as groups.  I loved being with the whole sixth grade, and I was impressed at their excellent behavior and ability to stay focused and learning the whole evening and through the next day.  They always asked great questions, and had a lot of the answers when the museum presenters asked an assembled group of several schools.  These students know their science standards, for sure!!

 I want to thank all the parents who were willing to help and to all those who chaperoned, and I would also like to thank the administration for being so supportive this year and last year with this field trip.  I hope it becomes a regular annual event, but no matter what, I know my students in a different way than ever before, and we will always have this trip to remember!  Everyone knows now, that Ms. Frank has no trouble falling asleep anywhere!

Have a great week talk to you all next week, take care, and write if you have any reactions to this blog!



No comments:

Post a Comment