Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Movement and Music

Recently, I had dinner with a friend and she asked me what kinds of things I do in music class.  That day I had just worked on one of my favorite lessons in class, teaching my sixth grade students about contour, unity and contrast.  I use a song "Put on a Happy Face" which is a standard Broadway song and I teach them how the melody paints the meaning of the lyrics.  They learn that contour means "the shape of a musical phrase" and they can see that the beginning of the song is the shape of a frown, that turns upside down at the end of the song.  The other words, unity and contrast, are shown by how certain parts of the melody are repeated, and other parts are not.  A song cannot be interesting if it is too repetitive, but it also cannot be remembered or appreciated if there is no sense of unity or repetition in the song.  

We learn a hand jive, and we dance, to demonstrate the meaning of all three of these concepts, unity, contrast, and contour.  My friend asked, "Why do you dance in music class?" It hit me in a strange way.  I always danced in music class when I was a child.  I always danced anyway.  The answer, however, is more than, "I dance with the students because I did as a child, or because I can."  It turns out, children NEED to move more than they do these days, and this is a chance to do that.  

Children, as it turns out, "NEED to experience what we call “rapid vestibular (balance) input” on a daily basis. In other words, they need to go upside down, spin in circles, and roll down hills. They need authentic play experiences that get them moving in all different directions in order to stimulate the little hair cells found in the vestibular complex (located in the inner ear). If children do this on a regular basis and for a significant amount of time, then (and only then) will they experience the necessary changes needed to effectively develop the balance system–leading to better attention and learning in the classroom." (Angela Hanscom) http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/10/07/the-right-and-surprisingly-wrong-ways-to-get-kids-to
-sit-still-in-class/

 I no longer have as much time with my music students as I used to have, but I will not sacrifice the singing and dance portion of my curriculum no matter what, and it is more than because it feels good to me and to them and is fun for me and for them (which is also true).  It turns out, we are sacrificing our children's health and well-being so that they will have more academic time to learn all they need to to compete in this ever-changing world.  That means, that for a little time each day, (or at least four days a week) it is essential that they can move and shake and dance, and sing and use their bodies in myriad ways.  We have drumming, creative dramatics, gym, music, band, strings and recess for our other opportunities to get this type of play experience, which is wonderful.  Let's also just remember that the core learning will be sacrificed no matter what, if we don't allow our students to get this essential experience of rearranging their balance on a daily basis.  They will be more focused and be able to learn more efficiently, if they are also allowed to jump around, climb up things, go upside down, and roll around on the floor at least a half hour a day!  I know I still love to go upside down, even at my age! So..-Now that you have read this blog, go do a somersault and roll down a hill on this sunny, summer-like fall day! Enjoy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment