Thursday, September 11, 2014

Second Week of School

I have a new way of teaching general music that began last winter.  I share the same time periods with the gym and health teacher, for fifth and sixth grade.  Last year we realized that if we have students every other week for two quarters, we will actually see them more, if we factor in tlts and enrichment classes and extra time after school and recess time.  It was wonderful last year to have fifth graders for two quarters, and this year we are trying it with sixth graders.

 Essentially, we have two first days of school, because of this.  Therefore, I had Jaguars last week, and this week I have begun the first week with the Leopard team.  I had a great time sharing my story and song with this team, because I had done it several times by the time I got to them.  The weather has been a great deal cooler and drier this week than it was last week, so the students are not so uncomfortable in the building.  We have gotten a lot accomplished, in other words.

We all composed a sixteen measure rhythm composition and performed it for the class.  I have put the scoring guide on my webpage, if it helps to look at it, but everyone remembered how to compose and play their compositions.  I have created all my trackers in masteryconnect, and have assessed the students using this new system.  The wonderful part is that even if they all were not successful, they are able to try as many times as they need to to get to a mastery level for the project.

                                                   My granddaughter getting ready for school!
 However, because it hasn't been that long since I worked on these skills with them, it all came right back, and now when I see them next time, we can MOVE ON!!  I am excited to remind them about the treble and bass clef, and then create songs and play songs in the piano lab!  Have a great weekend everyone, and talk to you all next week!  Be sure to post comments if you come read my blog! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment